Real-time process control for the cement industry
The CNA Pentos-Cement is the fifth generation of the world’s most advanced on-line elemental analyzer. Like its predecessors, it is based on the Sodern neutron technology, pulsed fast and thermal neutron activation (PFTNA). The Pentos is the latest release of the CNA and reflects the continuous product improvement efforts of both Sodern and Malvern Panalytical:
• CNA Manager – a new user interface
• Belt load flexibility
• Calibration flexibility
• Improved reliability
• Improved detector design
• Improved neutron flux regulation
• Enhanced maintenance tools
The CNA Pentos provides high-frequency analysis of the bulk of the raw material. The net result is stable and on-target kiln feed which promotes efficiency and stability throughout the rest of the process. The high-frequency control is accomplished without the need for costly sampling equipment and laboratory staffing.
- On-off electric neutron source
- Automated radiation protection system (ARPS)
- Modular design for minimum downtime during installation
- Built-in direct link diagnostics program, ensuring optimum operation and uptime
- Constant neutron flux eliminates expensive and inconvenient periodic on-site calibration
The benefits of PFTNA
Using pulsed fast thermal neutron activation (PFTNA) analysis, the CNA Pentos cross-belt analyzer is able to quickly determine the chemistry of raw materials which enables high-frequency process control. By ’illuminating’ the material with neutrons, the CNA analyzes the bulk of the material on a belt from top to bottom and side to side delivering highly representative data. Pulsed excitation produces high-quality time-resolved gamma ray spectra from the sample. This provides high precision and accuracy with a drastically improved signal-to-noise ratio.
Installation of a CNA Pentos at the quarry makes it possible to effectively utilize lower grade materials by providing rapid analyses of the material going to the stockpile. This can significantly increase the lifetime of the quarry.
A CNA Pentos-Cement ahead of the stockpile ensures that pile quality targets are met, chemical variation is reduced, and minimal correction is required upon reclaim.
Raw mix control
Using the CNA Pentos, the raw mix chemistry is measured at 1 minute intervals. This enables immediate correction of mix proportioning ratios with no mill transport delay. The end result is a raw mix that is both stable and on target, enabling stable kiln operation and the resulting reduction in fuel consumption and extension of refractory life.
Cost saving opportunities
- Improving kiln operation
- Reducing laboratory cost and preparation labor
- Improving grinding efficiency while reducing energy cost to grind
- Improving lifetime of kiln refractory
- Reducing use of additives
- Extending quarry life