XRD phase quantification tutorial
XRD series: Helping researchers achieve better XRD data analysis and interpretation
Date recorded: July 02 2020
Duration: 01 hours 33 minutes 10 seconds
X-ray diffraction (XRD) is the only laboratory technique that reveals structural information, such as chemical composition, crystal structure, crystallite size, strain, preferred orientation and layer thickness. Materials researchers therefore use XRD to analyze a wide range of materials, from powder X-ray diffraction (XRPD) to solids, thin films and nanomaterials. Applications span from battery to catalysts, to clinker, colour pigments, layer coatings and more.
In our earlier series of XRD data analysis webinars, we covered the fundamentals to the physics behind the technique, how to prepare good samples and how to improve your overall data quality. In this webinar, our senior application specialist, Dr Daniel Lee, who is based in Seoul, provides a live demonstration of how to perform phase quantification. He will demonstrate with several data sets on Malvern Panalytical’s new version of HighScore Plus. Stay tuned to our webinar series for more of such XRD analytical tutorials.
Who should attend?
• Researchers involved in materials characterization analysis who want to expand their knowledge in X-ray diffraction
• Relevant industries include (but are not limited to) those researching on battery, powder metallurgy, cement, mining and minerals, environmental monitoring, pharmaceuticals and more
• R and D and manufacturing leaders responsible for appropriate analytics selection
• Scientists engaged in method development for new materials or in supporting root cause analysis investigations in support of product manufacturing
What will I learn ?
1. Perform quantitative analysis
2. Understand how you can improve your search perimeters and avoid errors
3. Tackle common challenges like profile fitting and more
4. Learn about automated functions and shortcuts to perform key analysis using Malvern Panalytical’s latest version of HighScore Plus software
About the presenter: Dr Daniel Lee, Malvern Panalytical’s senior application specialist for XRD, based in South Korea
Dr Lee has a PhD in Materials Science and Engineering. his expertise is on PVD, thin-film analysis, phorphors, solar cells, lithium ion batteries and thin-film battery research. He has been instrumental in providing application support using X-ray diffraction analysis to various industries including electronics, batteries, pharmaceuticals, building materials and more. These include powder diffraction, Rietveld refinement, small angle X-ray scattering, stress and texture research. Prior to joining Malvern Panalytical in 2013, he worked as a senior researcher with GS Nanotech. He was involved in the process engineering process for thin film lithium ion batteries. He also held prior appointments within the R +amp;amp; D team at Telio Solar Korea for CIGS solar cell development.